You are here:   /
rss News rss Articles rss General
Culture

Amazing Facts - February 22

February 22 2009
00:05

February 22, 1630 British colonists first tried the popcorn - fried grains of special varieties of corn. An unusual dish guests were treated to an Indian named Kvodekuayn. By the way, popcorn "explode" because of the information contained in grains of water. In the U.S. neraskryvshiesya grains of popcorn are called "old maids» (old maids), that really do not like feminists. Meanwhile, the average American eats about 60 - 65 liters of popcorn a year.

It is known that the world's largest bag of popcorn filled five o'clock, instead of 784 cubic feet of grain, which equals 22 cubic meters! Pollsters interviewed workers cinemas and found that the terrible movie, the more popcorn buys and eats the audience. And from medical sources, it became known that popcorn lovers more relaxed during the session, and better rest. Even know what a touching and prochuvstvennyh field painting lovers popcorn actively crying.

February 22, 1920 at the dog races in California for the first time a live hare was replaced with a mechanical. Animal-welfare advocates were pleased, and bookmakers, as before, had won.

February 22, 1956 was still not very well known American singer Elvis Presley first hit the music charts - the song Heartbreak Hotel. April 11, this song won first place and keeps it 8 weeks - has risen a new star rock 'n' roll.

February 22, 1968 off the coast of Antarctica has opened the first Soviet polar station - Bellingshausen. "Located on the southwestern tip of King George Island (Waterloo), at a height of 16 meters above sea level. Originally the station consisted of several wooden panel house, a 20-wintering in the mid-70 replaced a more robust aluminum buildings. At the same time the station was set up powerful radio center, intended for the maintenance of our fishing fleet country.

In the 90 years of our stations were mothballed, and "Bellingshausen" moved into the category of seasonal field bases. Only in 1997, the Russian government was to finance the expedition as a separate line of the federal budget. Now, the complex includes power station, radio station, metro pavilion where installed radar, satellite data receiving station and other offices. The power plant is equipped with three diesel generator capacity of 75 kilowatts each, but in neighboring Bay tank farm is located. Geographical location and climatic conditions allow the station to a number of unique research: during the wintering period, it conducted observations on meteorology, atmospheric physics, coastal hydrology, biology, ecology, and is receiving satellite imagery to analyze the development of drifting ice.

In memory of Russian and Soviet polar explorers February 16, 2004 the station was built Orthodox church. At a large gathering of Russian and foreign scholars and pilgrims performed the consecration of the governor of the Trinity Sergius Lavra Fiognos bishop to whom this responsibility has laid himself Patriarch Alexy II. By his decree, he established at the church patriarch Compound subordinate to the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. By decision of the Patriarch temple is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It was built in the Altai cedar and larch, but these trees can withstand the unbearable Antarctic wind and cold. Labored over the iconostasis of the Palekh artists, and the bells have ordered the family members Muravyovs-Apostles - the descendants of Russian Decembrist.In early 2007, in the temple for the first time in Antarctica took the wedding. Married Russian woman and a citizen of Chile, who works for the Chilean Antarctic base.

Release prepared by Max K * - based on encyclopedias and other public sources.


Print version

Photo Gallery
At this moment...
Photo

Week top publications
Popular reading
©2006-2020 All rights reserved
liveinternet.ru: display number of browses и visitors for 24 hour