You are here:   /
rss News rss Articles rss General
Culture

The legendary capital Arena was born twice

March 14 2009
00:05

March 14, 1730 was approved by the flag of St Petersburg. The decision was made Empress Anna Ioannovna: "Sceptre yellow coat over him the public about its two anchors of silver, red box at the top crown imperial." Five days later, coat of arms was approved by decree of the Senate, and the northern capital city will be a few centuries the residence of the emperors of Russia.

March 14, 2004 burned down the famous Moscow Manege. On fire at 21.14 told the traffic police, who patrolled Mokhovaya street. This was the largest in recent years, a fire near the Kremlin. Fire started on the roof, so people were inside it is not immediately noticed. All people who were in the room, after reports of a fire immediately brought to the street. An hour later saw the first collapse of an arena floor at the area of 300 square meters. meters. Because of the hardwood floors of the building the fire spread quickly. Column of flame rose by 50 meters, surpassing the Kremlin wall, Moss Street was heavily zadymlena, the flame came the spark to the hotel National.

At 23.00 completely collapsed roof. Killed two firefighters - they were at this point in the attic. In addition, one firefighter was seriously injured. Then he came down with end walls, they collapsed into the building. Altogether that night at an arena has been focused over a hundred fire engines, fire-fighting more than 500 employees MOE. At 23:46 Moscow time the fire was localized. From the building remain practically alone wall.

After the fire first started work archaeologists. They found a number of characters past - arrows, spears, axes. All that land is kept for many years. During the restoration of the historic appearance of the Manege, Moscow government practically rebuild the building. At the opening ceremony of Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov singled out "the two great dates in the history of the Manege. The building was opened in November 1817 on the fifth anniversary of the defeat of Napoleon's army by the Emperor Alexander I. It was designed by prominent architect Osip Bove as a training room for equestrian dressage. Unique, unsupported spans a width of 47 meters by wooden beams that hold the roof, found a monument of engineering. At parades in bad weather Arena could accommodate an infantry regiment.

After 1917, Arena served as a government garage, and after Stalin's death in 1953, he functioned as the Central Exhibition Hall. October 18, 2005 the first may be called the second birth of an arena.


Print version

Photo Gallery
At this moment...
Photo

Week top publications
Popular reading
©2006-2020 All rights reserved
liveinternet.ru: display number of browses и visitors for 24 hour